FatBomber
It's not easy being green

Bikes: Cannondale Jekyll 700, Jamis Eclipse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decisions Decisions

I'm currently looking to make the leap into SS and have a few very intriqueing options. My thoughts for the use of the bike would be as a city/commuter with the option of taking it off the road and doing some XC riding. The XC riding may well happen more than I anticipate if I become an addict as some have predicted.

Options:
1) 26" Fully rigid ('06 Bianchi MUSS ~ $700)
2) 26" Front Suspension ('05 Specialized Hardrock SS Disc ~ $350)
3) 29" Fully Rigid ('06 Redline ****cog 29 ~ $469)
4) 29" Brame Build (This could get very expensive and go way beyond my budget.)

Notes:
MUSS - A bit out of my price range but it sure looks sweet.

Hardrock - The Hardrock was $550 but is new old-stock. The fork isn't primo, but it's not total crap. Fantastic deal but the aluminum frame may be a bit rigid for me. I believe that it would be good for the pavement, but on the dirt it may be another story.

****cog 29 - Not quite sure about this 29" thing. I'm big (6'3"-230lbs) and I worry about the durability of the wheels and also the sheer weight of the bike.

Frame - I've been looking at Karate Monkeys and I've found a good deal for the frame and fork, but not having any other components is a daunting future expense. I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a cheaper 29 and then strip it for its components and then sell the other frame.

Anything wlse I may have missed? Please let me know your thoughts.