View Single Post
Old 02-17-04, 03:38 PM
pletcgm

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's just going to take time. Don't rush things. I have lost 72 pounds over 2 1/2 years and have been able to keep it off; well I have gained 10 pounds back within the last week from steroids -- had hair transplants. Anyway, I lost my weight in 10 pound increments. I would lose 10 pounds and then stabilize myself at that weight for 2 - 3 months and then lose another 10 pounds. That way, I would get acquainted at my new weight before losing more. It prevented my body from the shock of losing so much weight with a short time period and then gaining it right back as I had done many times in the past.

I started out cycling 5 miles a day on Saturday and Sunday and built myself up from there. It will take time for your body to adjust to the cycling and weight loss. I started cycling in September of 2001 and didn't really get into good "cycling shape" until March 2002 -- the point at which I did my first century. One thing that will really help you with your cycling is to go to the gym and do inclined walking. I built myself up on this. I finally got myself up to 14% grade for 30 minutes and this helped the cycling and weight loss considerably.

For food, I got on a high carb diet, eating a lot of fruit and chicken and subways at lunch.

As far as people looking and commenting, ignore them. At least you have the courage and will to get out do something to get yourself in shape. I had the same issue too, but no longer!

I know that I have posted these pics before in other posts, but I hope my pics will show you where you can be too with some effort and will -- and hopefully enjoyment as I have had!!! Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress!!!!