View Single Post
Old 03-16-07, 06:10 PM
skanking biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Forester
Not all of these items are required, although riding in comfortable cycling clothing is highly desirable. The plain fact is that you will not choose to ride for transportation to any significant extent. Another plain fact is that it is impractical for society to provide for you to practice your chosen variety of bicycle transportation to any significant extent. There it is.

I disagree. The very fact that many on these forums and many who aren't commute on a daily basis using a combination of roads/streets/facilities without riding in traffic like that indicates it is not "impractical." While I don't disagree that cycling in a highway as shown in the vidoes is possible for some and can be done safely by some, I hardley think the guy I pass every morning with the cargo trailer, two sets of panniers and searchlight on his handlbars is going to be willing (or able) to do that. I'm not knocking the skills in the video. I'm just saying why subject yourself to those conditions if you don't have to?