View Single Post
Old 03-16-07, 06:16 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skanking biker
I disagree. The very fact that many on these forums and many who aren't commute on a daily basis using a combination of roads/streets/facilities without riding in traffic like that indicates it is not "impractical." While I don't disagree that cycling in a highway as shown in the vidoes is possible for some and can be done safely by some, I hardley think the guy I pass every morning with the cargo trailer, two sets of panniers and searchlight on his handlbars is going to be willing (or able) to do that. I'm not knocking the skills in the video. I'm just saying why subject yourself to those conditions if you don't have to?
As a practical matter, if you can make your necessary and desired journeys under nice conditions, OK, but that limits your travel to those routes, and hence the destinations reachable by those routes. If you want to generally travel throughout all of the area within reachable distance, then you will have to accept some unpleasant conditions because society cannot provide for pleasant travel everywhere.