View Single Post
Old 03-19-07, 04:09 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Being a small business owner myself (not cycling related) service is about the only thing a smaller store can offer, along with possibly a more convenient location. With the advent of the internet and various "super" stores it is all we have left to offer. I am still appalled at the number of people that come in and want us to "price match" something they found on the internet...nope no can do, or think they should receive a discount. I would have to shut my doors, if I sold below my costs all the time. We actually dropped a couple of our vendors last year after they basically lied to us and sold a line we were carrying to the super store up the road from us. We did have a few people come in asking for the lines but when we told them they had to go up the road to the superstore they weren't happy about it. Several of them chose something else from one of our other lines instead. Apparently the customer service and the overall quality of the merchandise at the super store is less than great, but if you shop price only you more than likely are going to have to give up something. The other fun thing we have is someone buys something on the internet that we sell, then brings it to us wanting alterations or adjustment..."why don't you take it back where you bought it?" and sorry can't help you there either. I am sure we lose the occasional customer over that too, but if you bought it from us we will bend over backwards to help you with it. Buy it somewhere else, please have them service it.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon