Old 03-19-07, 05:06 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would like some real research into how to design roads to accept multimodal traffic (cars, bikes, peds). So far, most the efforts have been somewhat of a cross between "rule of thumb", guesswork/experience, and hit-and-miss. I say this because the most common complaint is "well cyclists have only themselves to blame for getting hit - the road just isn't built for bicycles, it is the realm of cars..." or something to that extent. So, why not start building roads to accept of all forms of transportation.

But some real money should go into this, starting at the university level and working its way up to implementation on the street. It is a real engineering problem, mixing cars and bikes, and cycling must, at some point, be depoliticized and get some real, ol' fashion, nuts and bolts research. We have too many amateur "experts", too many "general purpose" advocates, and way too little research and development going on.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter