Old 03-19-07, 05:47 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Trimodal? No. Multimodal, in the sense of Randya's post above.

Is the problem difficult? Of course. Does this mean we shy away? No. Otherwise we would never have FEA and CFD designed bicycles weighing 17 lbs (who in the world would want a 17 lb bicycle, and why apply aerospace design tools on something as little as a bicycle; you know, those tools cost several $10,000 for a single seat for a single year). We wouldn't have modern cars (make an engine block out of aluminum? Impossible! Stick with steel as the design problems are an order of magnitude less. Aluminum is utterly impractical).

And I think, HH, you are mistaking my mind's eye vision. If you are thinking any thoughts revolving around bike lanes, you are wrong. I didn't color this wish with a preconcieved notion of the solution! In my mind's eye, I am just now getting my arms wrapped around the problem. I don't know the solution. But I can tell that all attempts at it so far are only partial solutions. But really, what's the fun in solving a problem if the solution is already known?

And how in the world is this not an engineering problem?

Basic math problem... That talk's for quitters .
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter