Old 03-19-07, 06:09 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
I didn't think you were thinking bike lanes.
Good.

But no research is required to understand the basic problem. We know what it takes to add another mode to an existing transport system. Look at any railroad system. Or how about a subway... that's right, use a separate plain (I've long called for the undergrounding of all motor vehicles - wouldn't that be nice?).

There just aren't that many categories of choices. You either spend inordinate resources to handle the new mode entirely separatedly (like a railroad, and just as limited in terms of source, destination and route), or the freeway system, you put it on a separate plain (like a subway, or the Disneyland monorail), or you (and everyone else) takes the hit (literally) at intersections, either with multi-grade/multi-mode facilities, or with added delays.

There is no other way.
You have some understanding of the problem then. That's the first step. You know the old adage about bicycle components, that you have cheap, light, and durable, choose any two? Engineering is about having all three. Nobody said the solution was easy or obvious.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter