Old 03-20-07, 09:25 PM
manual_overide
Fat Guy in Bike Shorts!

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went into one of the Trek stores here in Cincinnati, and it was really odd. Everything was absolutely clean. There were no racks of bikes (well, the little kids bikes were but that's it), instead each bike had it's own place on the wall. I wasn't left to wander then get help when someone on the floor had time, or when the greasy shop guy noticed me. No, as soon as I walked in and glanced at a pair of sunglasses, a fresh young well-groomed kid came out of nowhere to try to sell me anything he could. I told him I just wanted to look and he disappeared for a while. Then, I figured out what was so weird. I couldn't see the shop part of the store anywhere, nor were there any bikes sitting around "just off the stand" and waiting to be picked up any minute by a customer. No, they had completely buried the shop in the middle of the store and covered it with walls and the only entrance was through a small door behind the cash register.

Most if not all LBS that I've been in have the shop right there for you to see or in a separate room, but no door so you can see in. Maybe it's just me, but I like to know that there are competent mechanics at a place I'm buying a bike and being able to see the shop area or watch their people actually work is a good way for me to know. The well-groomed kid was another weird thing. Other shops around are usually staffed by people who look like they ride a lot and know what they are talking about, or some greasy, inked up guy who just walked out of the shop and knows what he is talking about. This guy seemed like the kid who only works the register on Saturdays at the big shop around here. Just there for a job.

Maybe other Trek stores are different, but this one was just too... corporate. It had no soul at all.