Old 03-21-07, 06:11 PM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have owned a 92 Civic Hatch and now I have a 92 Prelude and with both cars, I have used the same Yakima rack I peiced together with the roof extender (kinda important if you have a 2 door) and for the bike attachment I have the RockyMounts.com bike rails (what ever you want to call them)

Plus sides of the RockeyMounts racks are you can get them in any color you want, and are cheap. Downside is the Skewer handle is made of plastic, and when you tighen it up, after a while, the metal curved washer digs into the skewer (Not good)

Over all my impressions with roof racks in general: in town they are nice. I have to drive about 5 miles of city driving to get to the road where I ride at, so its nice and convient to throw it up there. However, for long road trips on the highway, when I take my bike along, my gas mileage can go to ****. On my civic, normally I would get about 38-40mpg at 60-70mph and 35mpg at 80mph when I didn't have my bike up there. However, the first time I took it for a long car ride leaving at midnight from my house, I only got 25mpg and left me dead on the side of the road at 3:30 am in the middle of nowhere.

Now when I go on long car drives with my bike (over a few hours) I take apart my bike and throw it in the back seat area and take the roof rack off.

One of the reasons the hybrid civic gets decent mileage besides being a hybrid is honda put a decent amount of work on the areodynamics of the car (front splitter, areo wheels, rear diffuser, small spoiler, ect) and putting a bike rack on there kills the areodynamics. Remember, areodynamics is a large function of velocity, so at city speeds, the bike rack won't kill it too bad, but at highway speeds, it plays a large factor.

If your not into any winter sports or kyacking (sp?) or another sport where you can use the benifits of a rack, I would just go with a nice rear rack. However, remember, expessially with your civic with it areo package, the bike will be right in the exiting air with a rear rack, which means any dust your car kicks up will be directed right to the area of your bike.