Old 03-22-07, 11:28 AM
turtle77
break-beats

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phil Wood hub question

I have owned a set of Phil Wood hubs for a little over a year, and while they perform pretty well, I've noticed that they're not as "tight" as I would like them to be. There's a little more lateral play when they're on the bike (meaning that I can grab the wheel at the rim and physically move it back and forth in the fork/rear triangle) than other hubs I've used before. This makes the bike feel less solid, and while this isn't a huge problem, I do have to adjust my back brakes wider because if I really put some torque on my pedals (like accelerating relatively hard from a standstill, or going up a steep hill), the hub is loose enough that the rim will move over and rub against my brake pad (I noticed because my back brake wasn't toed in properly and was a little squeaky). I've never had this problem with previous hubs. (BTW, the quick release is tight enough).

I understand that the Phil Woods are non-adjustable cartridge bearing hubs, but if there would be any way to tighten them a little, I would really appreciate any suggestions. This is my first experience owning cartridge hubs - I've overhauled traditional cup-and-cone hubs before with no problem (frankly, I liked the fact that I could control how tight they were).