View Single Post
Old 01-11-02, 08:07 PM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To comment on HillaryRose's rear wheel experience. I can honestly understand the mechanic's suggestion to "just buy a new one", not because of more money for the shop, but less money spent for the customer. I work part-time as a mechanic and this situation occurs all too often! It's really an economical advantage to buy complete vs. building up! The same situation occurs when building new bike vs buying complete! Here's why:

Let's assume you are replacing a 26" wheel:

1 new rim decent brand (Mavic) - $50-65.
New spokes and nipples (Wheelsmith 15-14 dbl butted - brass nipples) - $22.00 +/-
New rim strip (Velox - Cloth) $4.00
Labor to lace and true wheel @ $20-25 (I've seen some shops charge as much as $40 per wheel!)

Total for new rim, new spokes laced to an old (probably worn out hub) $96.-116.0 plus tax of course!

Cost of brand new wheel (Mavic rim w/Deore or better hub) $69-89.00 plus tax!

What would you rather do? In defense of your mechanic, he was trying to save you money and have you get the most for your money. In actuality, the shop would make MORE money by relacing a new rim to your old hub! So give the guy a break! He's probably watching out for you, especially as often as you had to go see him! If he's anything like I (and my manager) are, they really feel bad for you and want to help you out as much as possible.

Good luck ChrisL and HillaryRose and others!

p.s. The people who work in (or own) shops do it b/c they love bikes and bike people, not for the $$$$$. If they were in this life for the money they wouldn't be in THIS industry. At least not as a "Mom&Pop" type operation! Even the large chains i.e. Supergo, Performance...etc. are operating on very low margins with a huge inventory demand and high overhead! It's amazing to me sometimes why more shops aren't out of business. ESPECIALLY THESE DAYS!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger