Old 03-26-07, 10:54 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I grew up near to a farming community in Iowa. The local insurance adjuster's office had a picture on the wall showing about ten dead cattle under a tree that had been struck by lightning. Shortly after we moved to Idaho there was a newsclip on a local TV station showing a man driving a horse-drawn wagon in a parade. Other people were on the wagon with him. The sun was shining in the video clip. Out of nowhere came a lightning strike and the wagon's driver fell dead right on camera.

The reason an automobile is a safe refuge in a lightning storm is that the steel body acts like a cage to conduct the lightning charge around you to the ground so that you are not part of the circuit. It is not because of the rubber tires. A lightning bolt that can jump hundreds of feet can jump around a rubber tire to get to ground. A carbon bicycle frame will in no way give you more protection than a steel frame when it comes to lightning.

When you see a flash, begin counting out about seven seconds. If you hear thunder, that means the lightning strike was about one mile away. I have been known to wait until the thunder comes at the count of three before seeking shelter, but I figure I am tempting fate at that. A lot of farmers thought they could stay on the tractor and do just one more round in the field before heading home to get in from the storm, only to end up a statistic. A few survive a lightning strike, but very few. Those who do will never forget the experience and would never do it again.