Old 03-26-07, 01:44 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerdz
Thanks. For a (at that time) 10 year old on one of her first outings in traffic, who I would not expect to 'command' a lane with a 45 mph speed limit, I thought she did do everything right and felt she needed reassurance. The motor vehicle operator did break the law and she needs to know that that will happen.
Well, if you told her she did everything right because she had, based on what you had taught her, that's one thing.

But you told us, in the OP, that she did everything right. That's something else again.

Riding a bicycle in traffic is not rocket science, but it's also not trivial. "Doing everything right" is arguably harder than "doing everything right" while driving a car or motorcycle in traffic. And, in my opinion, "doing everything right" should include not only the bare minumum to be legal, but employing all the known best practices to minimize one's exposure to the errors of others. That's why there are books and classes on this stuff. Again it is not rocket science, but it's also not as simple as most people seem to think.