Old 03-26-07, 01:48 PM
Drad On

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me with my PrisonYard Workout (supplemental)

Hey Guys and Gals -

I'm training for my first sprint distance tri this summer. I just picked up a nice road bike so I think I'm set.

Background: lifetime athlete but have never competed in any of the tri events. Last summer put a lot of miles on my mountain bike and I ran a LOT of miles. I was running 5k, 10k, 10 mile races about every other weekend. I was a lifeguard in high school and grew up swimming in the lake. I'm comfortable with all 3 pieces of the puzzle - just need to train hard and continue to learn from my peers.

I don't have interest in joining another "gym" as my main focus now is training for this tri. What I do want to do however is continue with some cross trainig/stregth training. So I figured a "Prisonyard Workout" routine once or twice a week should suffice.. Some things I've been thinking about are this:

Pushups (varying hand width)
Pull ups - (garage rafter beams or at a playground on jungle bars) (wide grip and underhand grip)
Body squats ( I have some 25 lbs dumbells to aid with weight)
Bicycle Crunches
Pilates Ball (wife has a medium sized ball for core work)
Heavy Bag thai boxing
Elevated pushups (feet up)
Dips (use couch or table or playground)
Calf raises (stairs)

I figure if I could do this type of workout once or twice a week just as a supplemental workout - it could aid me in my training and strength.

Is there anything you guys would add to this workout as a supplement to running/biking/swimming?

See you out there !!