Old 03-27-07, 01:14 PM
kartoffel
velosipedist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fiver
I went for a long trail ride out in the brutal winter this year with my wheels converted to tubeless. I was running pressure at 18psi, and didn't get a single flat because pinch flats are impossible with tubeless, and the added traction and suspension from running such low pressure is well worth the investment. We have converted maybe 100 or so wheels systems to Stan's this year so far and haven't seen a single flat, or received any complaints from our customers.
This system is proven, and works.

Yes tubes gives you none of the benefits of Stan's. They look like thorn resistant tubes that add a ton of rolling weight to your wheelset.
That's good to know Does the Stans system still work at higher pressure? Does Stan's on a cyclocross tire burp air--at any pressure? I might consider it on a dedicated wheelset if it actually works.

The problem with going tubeless, though, is that you lose the flexibility of swapping tires in 5 minutes. Once you have to measure and pour sealant, prepare soapy water, and have an air compressor at hand every time you change tires, you might as well be running tubulars. Except that tubulars don't leak goop all over the place, you don't have to reinflate tubulars before every ride, you can be certain any tubular will actually fit on your rim. With Stan's, every new untested tire is a crap shoot yet the manufacturer plays it off like beta testing their product is fun and cool.

Give me a tubeless system that's not messy, never burps air, never loses air overnight, requires no special spooge, works with any clincher tire, and lets me change tires in 5 minutes. If Stan's snake oil can't do that, you're better off tolerating innertubes or diving into the world of tubulars.

Oh yeah... those Oliver's YesTubes are just humor Some burned out ex-Stans users put it together.

Last edited by kartoffel; 03-27-07 at 03:22 PM.