View Single Post
Old 03-27-07, 02:20 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jukas

I don't mind spending the extra $$ if the shoe is going to last longer or be more comfortable etc, but I don't want to throw down 40% more just for a brand name if that makes sense? I'd like it if I could get at least a season and a half out of a pair of shoes, and 2 - 3 would be fantastic. I'm not hardcore, I'm not a racer and I won't be riding more than 2 - 4 times a week.
There is a certain threshold of quality and performance that you pass. After that, the #1 difference between pricey and cheap shoes is weight. You'll find this pattern pretty consistent across pretty much any cycling component.

Without trying on the shoe, it is really a guessing game with getting the right size. Some are sized too small, some are sized too large. I'm wearing a shoe that says 13.5 US, 47 Euro and I wear somewhere between a 12.5 and a 13. They were a little tight in width but they stretched out nicely ($25 Specialized clearance).

Since it's only a half size and you don't plan on doing much walking in these shoes, you may consider having them stretched by a cobbler. Either that or keep the lower two straps looser. So long as your toes aren't banging against the toebox, you should be OK. Something in the showroom made you think that those shoes were going to fit right.

Lastly, I'm wondering what options are out there for leg protection? I don't mind taking minor falls, and when I was riding years ago, scratches, cuts, bruises and 'roadrash' was pretty typical, but now I'm sporting close to a grand worth of ink on my leg and I'd more pissed if I damaged it, than myself.
Look for something with a hard outer shell on top of open foam. Since you'll be pedaling hard, closed foam will roast you. Dainese is the best, but there are other providers out there like Roach. Check MTBR.com reviews on shinguards to get some ideas. I got past my "falling everywhere" phase so I haven't considered using them for a while.