Old 03-27-07, 09:57 PM
Bantam

Bikes: Trek 1500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Crit, First Big Crash

I want to say hello to the racing section.
To start off, I am new to cycling. I come from a background of Road and trail running. I've tried team sports but they do not suit me well. I got my first road bike less than a month ago because I get bored with running only and I need a competative outlet.
During the warm months there is a local industrial park crit so I decided to give it a try. The format is 45 minutes plus 2 with no class breakup. The course is a basic square with 4 right hand turns. I arrived later than I planned so I didn't warm up like I should have. As I was riding out of the parking lot I noticed a curb I didn't want to ride down so I tried to pull my feet out of the pedals (not clipless yet), and tipped over. No problem, just stupid.
I pulled up to the line as they were lining up. Rules are stated and the race starts.
First lap was really slow, I was on the back on the inside. Second lap sees the pace pick up and I moved closer to 2/3rds of the way back in the pack. 3rd lap is more of the same, but I was moving towards the outside as the inside was freaking me out a bit. By the time lap 4 rolls around the pace has really picked up and I was on the very outside and in the back. As I roll into turn 4 I realize it is far and away the sharpest on the course and I was not at all leaning over far enough. I watched the curb loom closer, and then I was on my side in the grass.
Apparently, my tires hit the curb and pitched me over. My left shoulder slammed into the ground. There are a few scrapes on the bike, but nothing major. A local rider stopped to see if I was ok and helped me reattach as the pack went by. I was skittish, but he helped me grab a wheel. I dropped after 2 laps OTB with shoulder pain.

So here I am, my first race, my first crash, and it hurts like no ones business to move my arm. Provided I heal up, next week will see me out there again.