cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
I read Bud Bent's post on the Senior Games, and much to my surprise found myself signing up for the 20 kilometer road race. Now that I've gone and done that part, it occurs to me that I should probably do something to prepare for the race itself.
My goals at this point are to:
*Finish
*Avoid Crashing
*End Up With a Good Story to Tell
My previous racing experience is limited to trying to catch my older brother on a Huffy one-speed more than 40-years ago. Having failed at that, I hung up my sneakers at the age of nine and never raced again.
Therefore, I beg any and all who have racing experience to offer their wisdom. I've been doing a couple of tough spin classes most weeks through the winter, so I'm not completely out of shape.
Check for posts in the road race sub-forum.
20klics is very very short. I don't know anything about the senior games nor the competition level, so I'm completely relating from USCF-CYClingUSA sanctioned events.

Depending on how much prep time/days you have before:

Try to get into some local racer-type rides, especially ones with crafty olde-fartes.
Don't stop ridin on the days before the events, taper down to spinning small ring easy gears for the 2 days before and keep the mileage light, but do at least 1 hr rides.
Stay away from heavy foods the night before
20 Klics is about 11-12 miles, very short - don;t load up on food before the event. A Banana or similar easy digestive good energy stuff is purrfect.
WARM UP A LOT! For somehting that short I would warmup at least 20 miles, low gear spin and at least 6 Big Ring out of the saddle very short, but hard sprints.
Try not to let the adrenalin before the start totally waste you.
Try to hit the start line just before the actual start time, in a full-on sweat! Like minutes before the start, not 5 or 10 - 2 or 3 min if possible.
Then expect to sprint from the start - full-on sprint. The charge will likely be a herd of elephants.
Try to tenaciously hold any wheel in front of you. If its too easy, somehtings wrong.
If it does ever lighten up, take the opportunity to move your position up in the pack. You'll be happy you did when it starts cookin again.
If you're anywhere near the front group at the finish, resist trying to go off on your own. SUCK A WHEEL. Don't bolt! When you can see the white's of the judges eyes (50-60 yds from line), then you go Boy, GO!
Sprint you ass off! Cool down then go collect your schwag/winnings
... or just be happy you survived
its a total stoke!
old pharte racin is the worst kind - scrawny old roosters who just luv to suffer and make others do the same. watch out for the guy on the 30 yr old Peugeot rustbucket PX10, hez da ringga!