View Single Post
Old 03-29-07, 06:26 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
That's what I thought, too. Since this was not a class start and he didn't even say anything about getting a one day license, it sounded like a "line up and let's go" deal. And since the lower cats and newbies will not be able to keep up with the better riders, it all sorts itself out in the end anyway.

It sounded like a perfect deal for a new racer wanting to get experience.

There's a differnece between a new racer and a new rider. Thep OP says he's been riding a bike for a month. I'd suggest that anyone new to cycling spend a litle time becoming a competent bike rider before they start racing.

I don't think people should be put off from starting racing, but if its your first season on the bike, I don't think it is at all unreasonable to suggest doing group rides for a month or two before racing, even a practice crit.

There are simple group riding skills that you need to have, that are better learnedin a non competitive environment.

I can't imagine learning to race crits without putting in at least a couple a hunderd miles riding in groups with other folks