Old 03-29-07, 05:48 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deputyjones
Excellent point PJ, and BTW your pragmatic, common sense style are appreciated here and in other threads .

Although I appreciate your attempt to define VC to a certain extent HH, I find this poll inadequate to describe those that may be proponents of VC along with the appropriate use of facilities. I think with these options you are pigeon-holing and, in fact, alienating those who might otherwise actually be advocates of VC. Many, if not most, in this forum do ride VC and would advocate this method to others where they deemed it appropriate. Those same people also use facilities where appropriate, like myself and as you have previously stated you do as well (actually you said you had no problem with the use of sidewalks or facilities where appropriate which assumes you use them, where appropriate).

You have also stated before that VC is a subset of what has been previously defined on this forum as AC. So, where does VC fit in these definitions in relation to AC? Since you mention no facilities in the definitions, one can only assume you are specifing directions in BVC and AVC to act in accordance to strict VC. That leaves strict VC as the only thing you are asking if people advocate.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand much of what you're saying here, nor what you're asking.

For example, you say: "You have also stated before that VC is a subset of what has been previously defined on this forum as AC." (true)

Then you ask: "where does VC fit in these definitions in relation to AC?" The answer is still: VC is a subset of AC.

I don't understand this at all: "Since you mention no facilities in the definitions, one can only assume you are specifing directions in BVC and AVC to act in accordance to strict VC."

How am I "specifying directions in BVC and AVC"? I've defined "strict VC" to be distinctly separate from BVC and AVC.

As far as facilities go, I'm not sure why it would be significant if I didn't refer to them, but it's moot since I did, under AVC:
  • Recognizing when and where bike lanes are okay to use, and when they should be avoided.
By the way, I've expanded on these definitions (a work in progress) in the "Some VC definitions" thread.