View Single Post
Old 03-04-04, 04:23 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Cook
That being said, it is often easier to to make a non qualified imperative statement about these things.
I think I'm qualified to determine chain wear and proper lubrication strategies it's what I get paid to do. I don't question your abilities as a middle management analyst.
Especially when we have reason to doubt the ability of the listener to use their own good judgment. I have met people that ride over 3500 miles every year, that take their cycling shoes to a LBS when their cleats need to be adjusted. The question is whether or not a person with this level of mechanical savvy could be trusted to make a good decision about whether the chain and the cassette should be changed or just one of them.
No the real questions are whether or not a worn chain should be used with a new cassette or a new chain should be used with a worn cassette.
My main objections are that certain members feel that it is better to replace a chain once a year rather than take the time or trouble to clean and re-lube it. By using a dirty chain wear is inherently increased do to the abrasive influence of of grit particles suspended in the dirty lube thereby increasing the likelihood of excessive drivetrain wear.
Another objection is the use of motor oil as a chain lube as it is generally too thick to penetrate the links effectively, however, it is a wonderful medium for the collection of grit particles as it lacks the "shedding" ability common in most proper bicycle lubes. It is my experience that once a chain has developed significant wear (generally around 1/8" inch sometimes before) the cassette has usually developed corresponding wear in the most commonly used gears leading to reduced performance, chain skipping etc. It is at this point that replacement of both chain and cassette become mandatory as it is generally not cost effective to replace the damaged cogs.