Old 04-02-07, 10:30 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek 7.3FX - 100 mile Clyde review

I FINALLY topped 100 miles on my 7.3FX this past Friday, the weather cooperating just long enough for me to get home before severe t-storms hit. Here's a pic

Note that it's waaay too easy to go fast on this bike! I was "slowing down" to take a picture with my treo, and yeah. Normally on that stretch of MUP I'm going between 20 and 28mph, the former being moderate work and the latter being heavy work.

Now for my review. It's a great bike, and well suited for us larger folk - with exceptions. First, I haven't found a single person who actually likes the saddle. It's uncomfortable, and that's giving it credit. I'd recommend immediate replacement when purchasing it, see if they'll give you credit towards a different one.

Second, I'm not the biggest fan of the wheel set, but after some work they seem to be (crossing fingers here) holding up acceptably. Were I to do it over again, I would ask to swap them out for a handbuilt set if I could get credit for them.

As for the tires, no flats yet - again crossing my fingers here! - and I'm by no means easy on them. The roads on my commute and rough city streets with gravel still leftover from the winter.

The frame is very sturdy, absolutely no flex at all but at the expense of a ride that borders on "harsh". It has eyelets for fenders and a rack which make it a great choice for a commuter.

The brake pads are the other lacking area, they clearly lack the stopping power of the aftermarket ones put on my Specialized Hardrock by the shop I bought it from (no idea what they are, though). That's going to be the other upgrade I do when I put the new saddle on.

Overall I'm pleased with the purchase, but not as much as I was with my Hardrock. This bike is FAST and fun, but it's also been back to the shop more times in it's first month of riding than my Hardrock has been in 700 miles total due to the wheels. With a different wheel set, I bet I'd feel about 50% better about the bike as a whole .