View Single Post
Old 04-02-07, 11:56 AM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LandLuger
This is actually a good thing about NiMH; the cells are giving you full voltage up to the very end of charge unlike other batteries which experience voltage fade throughout the cycle. Alkaline AA's produce about half their charge below 1.2V! That's one reason I change out my taillight batteries on a regular bases and recycle them into a remote control, utility light, etc. for the remainer of the batteries power.

Nevertheless, I don't like the idea of throwing away primary cells like I've been doing with the taillight; this discussion has inspired me to use one of my lithium 18650's with my LD1000. Anyone running 3.7V successfully with the LD1000?
Seeing as the LD1000 uses 2xAA @ ~1.5-1.6v x 2 = 3.0-3.2v and in the odd case I've seen AA's at ~1.7v (2x @ 3.4v) so I think it would work if you let the cell rest a bit after you take it off the charger say a couple days to drop in voltage as cells fresh off the charger hold a higher voltage in my experience.

If you use that lith battery I'm almost certian you'll need to get a blank/dummy AA battery placed into the second bay to simulate like there is a second battery to complete the circuit. To be safe I would email Cateye and ask thier R&D/tech dept. and ask what the min and the max voltage the unit will take.