View Single Post
Old 03-05-04, 12:07 PM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I gotta mention my Nokians. I love these suckers. Every season they go on and carry me through some fun stuff that an ordinary tyre just can't handle. Of course I wouldn't try a road tyre out on a frozen lake, but I trusted the Nokians to give it a try.
I haven't flatted them yet. I can't imagine what it would be like to change them at the side of the road with numb fingers. There'd be a good deal of cursing I'm sure.
I'm still deciding on tyres for the rest of the season. I've had the side walls of Contis shed on me, the fabric was fraying, and wrapped around the hubs. It was a poor experience. I've got Sefras 700x23s, which were great until the first flat created hole in the inner lining and continues to abraid the tube to where it goes flat, I've got several tubes with the same hole in the same place. Yes, I checked to make sure there wasn't a forien object inbedded in the tyre.
Specialized I like, I have a set of Michelins now that I like, and some off road cycle cross(Vittoria) that have been phenominal. I'm still a whimp when it comes to putting out bucks for a set of tyres, on the promise that they'll improve my ride. I'd rather go inexpensive, than lay out the cash for something that'll last. That's flying in the face of the Nokians I know.
But since I've gotten rid of the steel coffin, I figure wtf, let's get some good tyres.