View Single Post
Old 04-03-07, 11:12 AM
BadMrFrosty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Discouraged by thieves, please help.

Hi there, one day in 2005 I had a dream that I was a kid again riding my bicycle through the neighborhood. I remembered how good it felt to be feel free and fast and out doors and everything that comes along with cycling. I weighed 404Lbs in 2005. This dream encouraged me to lose weight so that I could maybe pick up my beloved hobby/time killer/sport again. So I worked and worked and worked, all the while promising myself that if I got to the point where I could safely ride a bike, I would buy myself a new bike.

Finally, in Spring of 2006 I weighed in at 270lbs, I was so proud of myself. It was April, and next month would've been my 27th birthday. I went by my local bikesource in Westerville, OH and fell in love with the Specialized Rock Hopper comp disc. I felt so good reaching my initial goal, i loved riding my bike around. In columbus we have this alum creek trail which goes from one side of columbus to the other side, it is very nice. I would ride this trail almost 2-3 times a week. I loved it.

In August of 2006, I was taking the garbage out, and ran upstairs to collect the trash from the bathrooms, when I returned (no more than 5 minutes) my beloved rockhopper (which was hung in my garage 8' up) was gone. It was like the thief not only took away my $1000 bicycle, but also my accomplishment. Since then I have really struggled with my weight, i've been depressed about the bike situation, and generally just upset about this.

I am planning on getting a new bike for my 28th birthday (in may). I am thinking about possibly buying another rockhopper comp disc. I found that most of the riding I did was on pavement, and not on gravel/dirt paths, or jumping hills or trees or whatever it is the real hardcore guys do out there. I really loved my rockhopper, it was just the right size, and weight and everything; is this bike pretty decent for riding on pavement?

I am reluctant to buying a road bike simply because if i want to let loose and ride through something I dont want to be limited. Is there a way to take a rockhopper comp disc and make it more suitable to paved roads while keeping its great bulky charm?

I now weigh 315lbs, and I think I am ready to try and "get back on the horse" as they say.

There is nothing worse than really working for something, and then have someone steal it from you...

Andrew