Old 04-04-07, 06:07 PM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MequonJim
Thank you 14R. I doubt that any of my local bike shops will have many folders to test ride, but I will call around. I'm definitely willing to buy off of forum member recommendations without test riding.

With 3 gears on your Curve D3, do you feel as though you have a low enough gear for hill climbing and a high enough gear to not get passed by senior citizens? That would concern me.

I'm not against the idea of 16" wheels at all.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Since you'll be riding on smooth roads and you don't have any issue with 16" wheels then it sounds like either the Downtube Mini or the Curve D3 would be just what you need. Obviously the Mini and the Curve D3 are similar bikes. Let's look at some of the differences:
-The Curve comes with a rack and fenders, which probably aren't very useful for the kind of recreational riding you'll be doing.
-The Mini has more gears, which you're obviously concerned about.
-The Mini is a bit lighter, especially if you go with the capreo version, and you said that weight is important to you.

Sounds like the Mini would be more appropriate for your needs, especially the Capreo version (what do you need an internal hub for? you won't be riding in bad weather or banging your bike around on the train or airplane and a derailleur is lighter and more efficient). The only question is whether or not you should pay the $100 premium for the Capreo Mini or if you should go with the internally hubbed Mini.

Originally Posted by holymoly
Wow, this original post could be from me -- same height, same budget, same requirements, and newbie. (But I'm female; MequonJim I assume is male.) Even before reading 14R's great post, I narrowed it down to the Downtube Mini and the Dahon Curve through online research. I haven't done any test riding yet, but I think the Curve is available here.

Not wanting to hijack the OP's thread, but hopefully he'll be interested in the answer too: Is one of these significantly easier to fold and/or carry? According to the specs, the weight seems about the same, and the Curve's folded size is longer (Mini 10"x20"x29", Curve 13"x24"x26"). I like that the Curve has fenders.

(Size and ability to camouflage is a bit more of an issue than weight for me, since I'll be carrying the bike up stairs and into a fancy office building elevator, and stashing in a small shared space -- but MequonJim might have other needs, so general thoughts on size/fold/carry would be awesome. BTW, I'll be on road, mostly 5km/3mile trips. )
Sounds like you would be better off with the Curve. The fenders will help keep you dry if you ride through a puddle on the way to work and the rear rack will be useful for carrying your briefcase.