View Single Post
Old 04-04-07, 06:16 PM
wheelin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I'm not surprised. People are swamped with requests for donations these days.
It's one thing to sell chocolate cover almonds for the local school, or bunches of daffodils for cancer, or whatever because people feel like they are getting something in return for their donations ... but to hand over money so that someone else can have an "experience of a lifetime" .............
I wish you the bests for your coming trip, but it's best to depend on yourselves. I know you are offering advertising in exchange for sponsorship. It would have worked when cycling around the world was a novelty. But today, thousands are cycling across the country on their own budget, the trip has loss its news headliner.
Surprisingly, many cyclists have been able to get sponsorship and donations in Thailand. Many cyclists are now using theme to honour the king to make their proposal sound cause worthy. Many Thais and even government agencies fell for that. Lately, a cyclist has proposed a budget of over US$125K for his three years trip to promote self sufficiency idea originated by the king, to the world. This time he stepped over board, and strong criticisms abound asking him to drop "to commemorate the occasion of the king's blah blah blah".