View Single Post
Old 04-05-07, 07:48 PM
nicecream

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please advise a roadbike newbie !

Admittedly, I don't know much of anything about road bikes, or bikes in general for that matter I just know I enjoy bicycling. currently I ride a Raleigh mtb I've had since new for over 10 years, but I've been looking to get a decent used older road bike on the cheap for 25-100km of daily city riding. Someone offered to sell me a road bike they were given years ago and I was hoping someone could tell me if its worth the $175 CAD/$150 USD. It looks like a nice well maintained bike, but I know shiny paint doesn't always equate to a quality bike (unfortunately I lack the knowledge and discerning eye of some of you folks to tell the difference). So, with both me and the fellow with the bike both being fairly ignorant, is this worth the price? Heres all the info I've got:

Its a Steve Bauer, model is Scirocco I think
The frame is crmo sae 4130
Drivetrian is Shimano biopace exage motion
the rims are Araya 700G Japan and its still runnin the original Bauer tires..
he wants $175 CAD / $150 USD
Heres a picture..

So, let me know what you think.. I'm a cash strapped student looking for an efficient ride for a fairly hefty ammount of daily cycling and I don't want to end up with something I can't afford to regret! Is this a deal or a lemon?

Thanks for any advice!

-NC