Old 04-06-07, 09:38 AM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
-Definitely need to use a smaller chainring. I'd like to go with a 34T, but I think I might end up getting a 38T chainring and a 22T rear sprocket so I can use....
-A Hebie Chainglider. I'm not sure if I can even get my hands on one of these, but this bike is badly in need of a full chaincase (I have no idea why there are almost no folders with full chaincases).
Hmmm, turns out that the sprockets for the Sturmey Archer 8 speed are only available with 19, 23, and 25 teeth. Unfortunately, the Hebie Chainglider takes a maximum sprocket of 22T. If I go with a 19T then the gearing will be way too high (as the Hebie chaincase also requires a 38T chainring). So there goes plan A.

Plan B (get the gearing I want with a 34T chainring and forget the chaincase), isn't looking good either. The smallest chainring possible with the stock 130mm BCD cranks is a 38T. If I want to go smaller then I need to either replace the cranks with ones featuring a 74mm BCD (such as a road triple) or get one of those triple adaptors that will allow me to bolt a 74mm BCD chainring onto a 130mm BCD crank, both expensive options. I guess a cheap solution would be to get a used road triple like WOAC suggested, but it seems that these typically have longer cranks, which I'd like to avoid.

Maybe I'll just go with the 38T chainring and then hope that either Hebie releases a 23T compatible Chainglider or Sturmey releases a 22T sprocket.