Old 04-06-07, 10:25 AM
chimivee
powerfully luxurious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thekorn
speedplay frogs! The only pedals which shed mud better are eggbeaters. I use eggbeaters for cyclocross and speedplay frogs for everything else. The frogs are easier to get in and out of, more durable, and easier on the knees than anything else I've tried.
Have to disagree based on my experience with Frogs. WORST off road pedal ever. Small amounts of mud or sand quickly made engagement difficult/impossible, and disrupted the float. Tons of free-float is inherent in the design, but because it uses a tensionsless cam type retention, rather than a spring-tensioned retention like most others, the cleat wheres out VERY quickly and there is nothing to take up that play. So, while still while useable, the interface becomes loose and clackety within a few hundred miles. The cleat is also somewhat delicate.

I've also tried SPDs and ATAC. Both are pretty good, but I overwhelmingly prefer standard Egg Beaters (well, haven't tried other EB styles). Easy in/out. Mud/sand is not a problem - even after slogging through shin deep mud, I could engage the pedal, with a little effort. Cleat is robust, although the metal is a bit on the soft side to prevent wearing the pedal. Enough float. The one problem I've had is that the "wings" as CB calls them are exposed, and are more susceptible to damage if you clip a rock, etc. I've done it twice on my MTB... but it shouldn't be a big issue with cross. Fortunately, with 4-sided entry, the pedal was still useable, and both times CB repaired them at no charge.