Old 04-06-07, 12:30 PM
phinney

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suggestions On How To Carry A Very Large Revolver?

With the kids and work all requiring more and more time I'm finding it tough to get in as much recreational time as I'd like. Last deer season I really didn't get enough trigger time going in and hope to change that this year. The problem is I just don't feel as good if I don't get in a certain amount of saddle time. What I normally like to do is get home from work and head out on a bike ride around the countryside. This is great but no trigger time. This year I'm thinking of bringing my deer hunting revolver along and hunting any varmints that I might see during my ride.

The revolver is large - A Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag, 7 1/2 inch barrel - and it's scoped. Way to large for my handlebar bag. In anticipation of this activity I restored my first mountain bike which is from the 80's and is actually a great frame for just tooling around. Very long and slow handling - almost feels like a tandem. Anyway, the bike turned out great and now I've just got to work out how to carry the gun.

I'm considering some type of pannier or maybe a rack trunk. I don't need instant access but it does need to be convenient as I expect to make several stalks a night on the chucks. Anybody doing anything similar? Any suggestions on how to carry the gun?