View Single Post
Old 04-06-07, 02:08 PM
bh357

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertkat
Does anyone use the Mary bar from On-One? The weird M shaped thing. I'm thinking of getting one, hoping it will help with my comfort issues. I'm getting into longer distance riding, most of with involves off and on road light touring. They look comfy and I figure I could tape up the bends for extra hand placement. Any pros or cons?
I'm running them flipped on my Rig. With the straight bar, I was getting a bit of hand/wrist cramping and numbness. These bars eliminated that for me. Overall they get a big thumbs-up from me.
FWIW, I've seen them on about a half dozen bikes locally, and every bike I've seen 'em on has been a singlespeed.
They have about a 25mm rise, so if you're coming from a straight bar, you may need to take that into account.
Lastly, I have contemplated taping mine. On the road, I have gripped the front bends on downhills to get a bit more stretched out.

Pros: comfortable, comfortable, comfortable, and oh, did I say comfortable. Less of an effect if you hit the end of the bar on a tree (a bit of a veer as opposed to a crash - at least in my case).

Cons: heavy for bars (mine weighed about 300g, but a small price to pay for comfort), handling takes a couple of rides to get used to (seems to have a bit quicker turn-in). Hitting the end of the bar on a tree more likely to end up in bloody knuckles .