View Single Post
Old 04-07-07, 02:36 PM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nicecream
Thanks everyone for your replies! And buzzman, thats a nice checklist, thanks, I feel a little more confident now that I know at least what I should be looking at to make sure everything is in good running order.

A few more quick questions though..

How can I tell if the frame is too big for me, is it just the 1-2" below the crotch thing, or do I need to check how long that same bar is relative to my torso?

How do I do a quick check to see if the wheels are true?

Thanks again
You really need to have the bike looked at by a good bike shop. I've looked at 85ish bikes that looked to be in good condition. One went into the shop and needed only a tune-up and new tires. Under $100 to get it into A-1 shape. The other ended up needing about $300 worth of work...

When you stand flat-footed with your feet three feet apart, and your belt buckle just behind the stem, the top tube should be just below your crotch. If the top tube lightly brushes your crotch, that's okay, but if the top tube is pressing into your crotch, the bike is too tall.

Stand with your eyes directly above the brake pads and spin the wheels. The rims should move smoothly between the brake pads. If the wheels "wobble" from side to side as they spin, the wheels need truing. And, even the best wheels need truing from time to time.