Thread: am i a Green`y
View Single Post
Old 01-16-02, 01:45 PM
SD Fixed
Traffic shark

Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Pete Clark

To me, calling someone a "Greenie" is like saying, "I resent that you don't have the same wasteful lifestyle I do, so I will deny my shame by putting a funny label on you."

Trust me, someday soon "Greenies" will be in, "Grungies" will be out.
I'm of a mixed bag. And I'd appreciate people's opinions on this.

Because I drive a Jeep, and I do take it out off pavement, often, I get labeled as a "destroyer of the enviroment".

I can remember when a gentlemen in Big Bear yelled at me for "ruining trains meant for hikers". These were forest service roads, and too boot, we were, that weekend, cleaning up a trail that used to be a mine road, and had also been used as a dumping ground.

My friends and I, when we go out, have a habit that is catching on. We carry plastic grocery bags, that we hang out side our jeeps. On the trail, we pick up the trash that we find (and there is a lot, 90% comes from other 4wd people, and a small percentage is from hikers/bikers). So, in effect, I'm doing a service by cleaning up. We preach/teach responisble use of the trails, not creating our own trail (using established ones), clean up, and support organizations that do the same.

Yet, by thier account, buy my shere presence on the trail, I'm destroying it.

What is your point of view?