Thread: am i a Green`y
View Single Post
Old 01-16-02, 01:56 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by William Karsten
I'm of a mixed bag. And I'd appreciate people's opinions on this.

Because I drive a Jeep, and I do take it out off pavement, often, I get labeled as a "destroyer of the enviroment".

I can remember when a gentlemen in Big Bear yelled at me for "ruining trains meant for hikers". These were forest service roads, and too boot, we were, that weekend, cleaning up a trail that used to be a mine road, and had also been used as a dumping ground.

Yet, by thier account, buy my shere presence on the trail, I'm destroying it.

What is your point of view?
My view on this matter is that one cannot generalise, as there are differing trails in differing areas. I often cycle some of the old forest service roads in Mebbin National Park near Murwillumbah. As far as I'm concerned, if the road is already there, I don't see a problem using it, as long as you're not making it any wider or larger than it already was. That goes for motorised vehicles (assuming they drive responsibly, which is another rant entirely) as well as everyone else.

However, this means that some trails (such as those I regularly walk along in Lamington NP) are for the exclusive use of walkers, and on those trails I don't expect to see anyone else (and don't even mention that stupid Segway thing).

By the way, do you really "ruin trains"?

That is all.