View Single Post
Old 04-10-07, 10:51 AM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Killer instinct? For me it's just the fact that I really hate to lose. At anything. Weather it be bike racing or chess I really hate being second.
I'm sorta like this, but sorta not at the same time.....

Like...group ride on Saturday, one of the strongest guys in the club was there (so I found out later). Was my first time riding with this club as I just joined it recently. I felt like complete **** due to vertigo....been having inner ear issues, and almost dropped off the ride within the first 10 minutes as I felt like I wanted to throw up. But....on some of the climbs, I still challenged him, and stayed with him. I have no doubt that if I was feeling 100% I would stayed with him on everything.....BUT....on those climbs where I just stayed at my own tempo, I didn't get really discouraged or anything. I really wanted to go, but it wasn't like the end of the world. I'm like that in most things....I'm actually more interested in putting forth my best effort rather than winning. If I was able to put in my best effort and I still got beat...that's ok. Just means I need to improve.

We'll see how my first race goes this Saturday - hopefully my ear issues clear up in the next day or two.