View Single Post
Old 04-11-07, 02:56 AM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see http://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One disadvantage of using one of the new narrow Campy chains is that the tolerances are much tighter; so that if you use a conventional chain-breaker, even if you use the special ($xpen$ive) pin $upplied by Campy, the fitting is so critical, that any slight error could leave the link compromised and subject to nasty failure.

However, it can be done, if you are very very careful to make absolutely sure that the pin is correctly inserted, and in exactly the correct position. Of course Campy recommends that, along with the $pecial link you must also use the $pecial Chain Tool (approved by Campy, and somewhat $xpen$ive), and by doing so, Campy dissociate themselves from any potential law$uit resulting from chain-breakage stemming from incorrect fitting caused by using a non-Campy tool.

That being said, I use a Campy Record C10 chain with a Wipperman Connex link, on my Bianchi; no problems (so far) and a damn sight easier to remove/replace for cleaning.

One other note, the Record C10 I use is 6.1mm; the new Record "Ultra" is 5.9mm; the two might be compatible; I don't know, but I tried a 6.1mm Connex link in a 5.9mm "Ultra" chain and wasn't happy, so I returned the chain (the old C10s can still be found on eBay)

Hope this helps -

- Wil

FWIW: both my other bikes use Shimano IG90 chains; I've used a chain-breaker on them (using the $pecial $himano replacement link) many times without any problems (BTW never break the chain more than once in the same place), but now use SRAM Powerlinks on those.