Old 04-11-07, 07:09 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
Hi HH,

Well some of the very specific questions require long detailed answers. But I believe that the gist of my argument and observations are there. I have not, for instance, as other posters here have done tabulated the number of times cars came within three feet of my bike. But that would be an aggressive auto maneuver that I would count as a negative when riding VC or bike facility.

-G
I though about this HH ...

I do not want to appear as if I am blowing you off. Far from it. Using the old phrase of the forrest and the trees ...

I gave a longer explanation of my rough thesis in an attempt to give a better picture of the forest. If others can get an idea of what my forest looks like, then I am satisfied with that. But to paint a picture where all of the trees have details takes a lot of time and effort. Others have blasted John for referring to his book as an attempt to sidestep an answer or sell more books. I just think that it takes a lot of time and effort to answer detailed questions thoroughly. Given that has already spelled out his ideas elsewhere it is much easier to write "look here" than write it again.

Of course, I have not written a book on the world according to Geof. That might have something to do with my laziness.

But that is one of the reasons why John deserves more credit for actually writing down his beliefs, motivations, experiences, and research. It takes a lot of concerted effort and energy to do it well. At this moment, my tank is close to empty.

Anyway, if my forest is unclear, maybe you can summarize what you perceive I am saying. Otherwise, a painting with detailed trees is beyond me at the moment. Perhaps I will write a book in the future and point everyone to it ...

----

I thought that sggoodri linked some research that compared bike lanes to WOLs. Perhaps someone thought of the idea that there should be a comparison to an unmodified street as well.