View Single Post
Old 04-13-07, 09:58 AM
Doug5150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Buckster
.... ....My priorities are (a) comfort and handling on the rough roads, and (b) comfort and not having to slog the long miles. It looks like my main candidates for consideration may be a: (1) Rans Formula 26; (2) Rans Stratus XP; or (3) Lightfoot Ranger.

(Question 1) Are there any bents to add or remove from this list?
(Question 2) Are there any bents that compare well with upright hybrids on gravel roads?

Thanks for any opinions you may have.
.....With a LWB, depending on the bike and your own height, two-thirds of the weight may end up being carried on the rear wheel--so having a larger-diameter front wheel is not really all that important. It's nice from the aspect of only needing to carry one size of spare tube and tire, but it certainly isn't necessary.

.....Most "recumbent" fender kits seem to be intended for tires around 1.5" wide. A lot of fenders will rub on a 2.3" tire, because (regardless of the fender's width) the fenders diameter is sized to curve around the diameter of a tire about 1.5" wide, with a bit of space between. I have some planet bike fenders on a bike with 26"x1.75" tires, and the tires almost rub; 2" tires would defnitely not fit. So if you will want fenders, forget about the standard kits, because they aren't going to work. You may be able to get some newsboy-cruiser fenders and modify them somehow, because these fenders are made to go on a bike that's running 2"+ wide tires mounted on wide rims.

.....And if you know that you will be running wider tires, then you should get wider rims put on too. Yes, you can put 2.3" Big Apples on a narrow 25mm rim, but when you air them down they will have too much side-play and the tires/bike won't feel very solid laterally at all. You would feel a significant benefit from putting some downhill-width rims on there instead (~34mm or so).
~