View Single Post
Old 04-13-07, 05:17 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MajorA
For reasons which grow harder and harder to explain on The Home Front, the herd expanded again today:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4267&rd=1&rd=1
with the link being the auction through which I picked up a Grand Jubile frame with headset, stem and bars for $70+shipping. Not a great deal, but a price within reason for a 531 frame in my size, particularly if it has the cool Nervex lugs, which I think it does. But I digress ...

Based on the apparent age in the photos - and here I'm guessing 1972-ish, based on the script style, the construction from 531, the lugs, and the headbadge - was this bike built for 27" or 700c wheels? And is the rear spacing probably 120mm? In anticipation of its arrival, I'm going to dig through the parts pile for wheels, hubs, brakes etc. in coming to some decisions about what to do with it when it arrives ...

Thanks.
Whoa! That's a great price for a GJ frameset! well, at least decent, and it is your size! Nice score. (I had to sneak the last one in while she was sleeping. Didn't want to have to explain the inexplicable at that moment... )

27" wheels, definitely, although if you don't care about period correct, you could probably put 700c on it. As I understand it, they were only 27' in the U.S. anyway; in Europe, they would have been 700c. *I think.*

Rear spacing should be 120 mm.

I have a scan of the the '78 catalog if you want to know the original specs (for a '78 at least.).