View Single Post
Old 03-17-04, 09:12 AM
Brillig
Bananaed

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City (only the frame remains)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fixedgearhead
I was riding home after a 65 mile road loop the other day and was on one of the local paved bike paths for a 10 mile leg of it, and came up on some guy who was all decked out in a touring bike and bags and Bob Trailer and all the rest of the things necessary to that life style and passed him when he said to me. "You really should call out that you are going to pass someone or you might get slammed down by the person you are passing". The ironic thing was that I did call out that I was passing but what with the high head wind and noise of the Bob Trailer he was hauling he didn't hear me. So rather than try to explain to him that I did call out I just said "That's why I ride a Track bike with no brakes", "So I can avoid the Amateurs". Needless to say he was not amused and I lost what he was saying in the rush of wind as I left him in the dust. Not all people who ride bikes are brethren. Some are what I would call Jerks on 2 wheels.

fixedgearhead
Alright, so this dude you're passing didn't do anything wrong. If he didn't hear you then you didn't notify him that you were passing him. At the very least it was a simple misunderstanding, the type that we all deal with every day and move on.

Then you reacted by calling him an "amateur"?!? So touring cyclists are amateurs and fixies are the real thing?

When does the therapy start?
If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination.
- Thomas De Quincey