View Single Post
Old 04-16-07, 06:16 AM
Jashue

Bikes: '18 Madone 9.5, '20 Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How long have you had this issue? I'm 39 having been diagnosed with allergy induced asthma a year and a half ago (go figure-- I've been an endurance athlete for 20 years without incident). Initially, I was put on just albuterol to contain the condition when necessary, then later both Advair and Singulair. These drugs kept me from having severe attacks, living what to anyone but a hardcore cyclist (or runner, or swimmer) a perfectly normal life. Later still, I began to treat my allergies with sublingual drops of concentrated allergens once a day.

Now this is the kicker: over the winter, I decided to experiment by weaning myself off the meds one by one. First the Advair... a few weeks later the Singulair... and finally the drops. I haven't had an attack in months. Keep in mind: I haven't put my cardio-pulminary system through the ringer either, and for all I know my clubs first time trial in a couple weeks could tell a different tale. I guess we'll see. I can only hope at this point.

Have you been tested for allergies? My theory here is that the treatment kick started my body into producing the antibodies necessary to deal with the allergens.

Last edited by Jashue; 04-16-07 at 06:21 AM.