Old 04-16-07, 09:37 PM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed-Curious: Convert Raleigh Reliant or Buy New Fixed?

Searched BF (not working), google (including focusing on BF), and Sheldon Brown and couldn't come up with much good information about the Raleigh Reliant bicycle my neighbor had put out for the trash. Looks like it is a 1979, made-in-Taiwan. The frame has surface rust throughout, but nothing structural (in particular, the chainstays and fork dropouts are in good shape). The wheels, drivetrain, cables, and brake levers are toast. Given the lack of stuff on the web and the weight of this bike, I take it I have not exactly stumbled on a rare treasure.

My question is this: I am "fixed-curious" and was thinking that my next bike -- this fall or next spring -- would be a fixed gear, probably with a flip-flop hub (think Redline 925). Would it be worth converting this Reliant instead?

I figure the single biggest expense would be a new wheelset (not going to build my own) and, given that I'm new to fixed gear bikes, I'd want the help of a LBS to get the BB/chainline right. All that looks like it is going to run at least $300. Should I just save my $$ for a new bike?