Old 04-18-07, 10:09 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by duppy.conqueror
oh i dont care how they figure...in my hood the d00ds with pits hang em from trees and shock em with shock collars if they dont rip apart toy targets...the labs are all owned by cabbagetown peeps who spoil them...any dog can be aggressive....it just so happens in my h00d i have all the idiot drug dealers and fake.gangsters who have 2 or 3 pitts each that they abuse and let run free...
Well... there you go. I think we basically agree, except in your original message you placed a focus on a breed as opposed to irresponsible (and worse) ownership, so I had to speak up.

BTW, spoiling a dog is not that good either. You may mean it in a good way (as in "treat well") but actually letting the dog run the house is one thing that makes dogs bite. They figure they're the leaders and if anyone ever tries to do anything they don't like... they'll defend their "leadership". That's one reason dogs like cocker spaniels and labs account for surprisingly many bites each year: people who get them don't know how to be firm and that can lead to a host of troubles in no time.

i think given the right circumstances ie. responsible pet owners any dog can be good.
Well, there are variables. Some breeds are known to be on average more aggressive than others - but pitbulls on average are LESS aggressive toward humans than most (unless, of course, you abuse them and train them to be mean). But they do have a high prey drive which means they're more likely to chase small animals (and love to play fetch ). They can also possess dog-aggressiveness which you can't train out of the dog that easily. It's not that most of them will go rabid and start a fight with any other dog, but if there is ever a brawl among dogs to figure out who's the leader, a pit bull won't usually back off. But while there are some general tendencies among various breeds, variations within the breed are huge, and a good responsible owner is what really makes a difference...