I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I tried to address the issue in this thread, but folks kept falling back on the only published bike stats, those from the 70's.

My argument was basically that those earlier stats were gathered from a time when cyclists tended to stay right. (I myself recall often putting one foot on the curb, and during group rides most cyclists did the same). Now there is something of a movement to move left, to ride more centerish, to make yourself more visible. What might result from those "centerish" habits? I don't deny the visibility that riding centerish brings, I just wonder what else might come of "meshing" with autos.
I've criticized for years the leading proponent of conclusions on bicycling risk based on just such statistical manipulation as ignoring the probability of exposure of cyclists to the varying scenarios. Of course that is just one of a whole host of similar statistical distortions from the same source.

A few folks do keep posting the same misleading stats, and the same misleading interpretations and the same bogus conclusions because they must feel repetition brings on validation to their guesswork/wishful thinking and/or firmly held beliefs in their own "reasonable assumptions."