Old 04-24-07, 10:04 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pj7
I see no explanation of any inferiority in that post. I do see one persons perception of scenarios, but no inferiority issues.
Can you please explain since you are the person innitiating the "inferiority" idea?
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were looking for an explanation of inferiority.

When you asked, "Inferiority?? Can you please explain this to me?", I thought you were asking what I was referring to when I wrote to Brian, "First your tribute to cyclist inferiority, ...". An explanation for what I was referring to can be found in Brian's post #18.

For an explanation of inferiority, I suggest a dictionary.

Main Entry: in·fe·ri·or
...of little or less importance, value, or merit

Main Entry: inferiority complex
2 : a collective sense of cultural, regional, or national inferiority

The reason I refer to post #18 as a tribute to cyclist inferiority is because of the last two paragraphs, in particular the bolded sections:

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
But now throw in a wrinkle. Cyclists are, in general, small and without a defined outline, making them hard to see, and slow. On a road designed for one type of vehicle of a certain size with a defined outline, and traveling at basically a single speed which is much faster than most bicyclists can travel, a bicyclist is out of place. This situation puts cyclists and motorists in conflict and competition. In this situation, vehicular cycling is merely a technique of using lane positioning as a weapon to win this competition, to make a motorist respond to the nimble and bold cyclist, to give the cyclist confidence that the competition can be won, to normalize the roadway relations so that the motorists, again, can behave in a way which doesn't involve thinking. But it is a forceful and competitive position, and the cyclist is out of place, so emotions flair.

If you want an answer to the above question with some political overtones, motorists are mostly cooperative when the road is designed for both bicyclists and cars, and motorists are mostly uncooperative when the road is designed soley for cars. I think motorists feel the same way about cyclists too. Designing a road system for both motorists and cyclists is difficult, and there will always be some points of conflict, but rulemaking, education, and good roadway design can make up for the shortcomings of such a duel useage system. But the alternative, designing the road system for only automobiles and neglecting space for cyclists will always put motorists and cyclists in competition and conflict.
If you still have trouble recognizing the language of inferiority in Brian's words, replace "cyclists" with "Greenies" (or any other minority of your choosing), motorists with "Others", a few minor edits, and see what you get:

Greenies are hard to see, and are slow.

On a facilities designed for Others, who travel at a speed much faster than most Greenies can travel, a Greenie is out of place.

This situation puts Greenies and Others in conflict and competition.

In this situation, Civil Rights is merely a technique of using positioning as a weapon to win this competition, to make an Other respond to the nimble and bold Greenie, to give the Greenie confidence that the competition can be won, to normalize the relations so that the Others, again, can behave in a way which doesn't involve thinking.

But it is a forceful and competitive position, and the Greenie is out of place, so emotions flair.

Others are mostly cooperative when the facility is designed for both Greenies and Others, and Others are mostly uncooperative when the facility is designed solely for Others (but Greenies dare to use the Others-only facility anyway).

I think Others feel the same way about Greenies too. Designing a facility for both Others and Greenies is difficult, and there will always be some points of conflict, but rulemaking, education, and good design can make up for the shortcomings of such a dual usage system.

But the alternative, designing the system for only Others and neglecting space for Greenies will always put Others and Greenies in competition and conflict.

See what I mean?