View Single Post
Old 04-25-07, 09:56 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
It is not impossible that you're an exception. It's also possible to hide low self-esteem pretty effectively, but usually, sooner or later, it manifests itself one way or another. Arrogance can be such a manifestation.

It's hard to judge how one rides based on how he writes about it, but I think it gives one an idea. In terms of what you have written, what comes to mind now is the lack of emphasis you place on negotiating for ROW when writing about merging left in busy/fast traffic. You talk about waving one car to go by, and then cutting in, asserting your right to be there without confidently negotiating for it with the next guy. I might be wrong, but this kind of arrogant move seems to reveal a lack of true confidence in your equal right to be on the road.
Whatever image of me floats your boat.

No, HH, you've got it wrong. I can create a gap, if necessary; kind of like creating a gap when changing lanes on the freeway. I don't, usually, because it is rude. If there is a gap in traffic, I take it. But if not, I'll create one. Just like in a car.

BTW, you missed the part where, after I wave the next car through, before it is done passing, I wave the car proceding it back to create a gap. I am basically directing traffic. Like what you do when you throw out your fabled "slow/stop" signal, but more direct about my intentions.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter