Old 04-27-07, 09:10 AM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
Greg has lots of good info... he just gets a little spunky at times. Probably all that synthetic testosterone.
Synthetic test is a wonderful thing, provided you also take some anti-e to eliminate ball shrinkage!

And why I said that:
1. You need more protein in the morning. Your body is in a catabolic state and needs to rebuild.
2. Processed carbs + sugar = recipe for a diabetic like crash, and considering that so many cyclists consume large amounts of simple carbs anyway, it's setting yourself up for potential diabetes. Processed foods like cereals are just bad news.
3. Unless you're training that AM, you don't need the carbs. Your muscles will have plenty of stored glycogen.

If you're gonna eat carbs for breakfast, make it very low glycemic carbs such as oatmeal. I'll often have an egg white omelette with cold oatmeal - just pour milk and berries over it and let it sit 15 minutes to get soft. Yummy.

You need less carbs than you think. I rode 30 hilly miles yesterday on less than 20g of carbs the entire day at a 20mph average. However, more than 30 miles and it's definitely a requirement - that's when I break out the gel and cytomax. Anything less I try to stick to fruit and water when training. A race is a different matter of course.