View Single Post
Old 04-28-07, 04:46 PM
Mike T.
All-round nice guy.

Bikes: Kish road bike, Seven mtb, Marinoni road and track bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickster
Mike - Although there may be a 'minor chance of a clincher blowout' on the track that's exactly what the OP was describing having happened to him, so six jours' comments re tubs being easier to handle in the event of a blowout are actually relevent here.
Yep I think I already aknowledged your last fact.

am I the only one who finds it really strange that people get so passionate in their opinions about these things
I just wanted to debate Six Jours' comment of "I'd rather eat worms than ride clinchers on a tight board track". That makes it sound like he knows they are very dangerous when it's a fact that they're not - shown by the fact that (from my viewpoint) it's so rare that it's a none issue.

What I wanna know is how Cycle-clops got a big blow out in his inner tube without the tube herniating out from the tyre - has to surely be either a large tear in the tyre or else the tube coming out from under the tyre bead? Can't see how else this could have happened.
That doesn't seem to be what happened to Cycle-clops. What happened to him was "The tube looked like just snipped a piece out" when he replied to your suggestion of "the tyre blowing off the rim and the tube herniating out and popping. Usually caused by trapping the inner tube under part of the tyre bead when first putting the tyre on the rim."

I'll still stand by my original findings - hundreds of thousands of laps must have been ridden on clincher bikes in the past two years of operation. The rare flats that I witness are caused mostly by faulty rim tapes (which our rentals were plagued with at the start) and valve stems leaking at the entrance to the tube. These didn't cause riding blowouts but mostly idle time deflations or deflations when pumping. I've yet to witness a catastrophic blowout on the banking. That's not to say that none have happened.